A podcast is a downloadable digital audio file available to listeners on an internet-connected device like a smartphone, tablet, or computer. These files are typically part of series focusing on a particular theme such as true crime, professional football, politics, or pop culture.
Augusta, Georiga area consumers can listen to their favorite podcasts whenever they choose using apps like Spotify, Pandora, Google, and Stitcher. The most used podcasting app, though, is Apple Podcasts.
Research from PodcastHosing.org indicates that Augusta area consumers can access more than 2,000,000 podcast series comprising over 48,000,000 unique episodes. According to data compiled by Edison research, the top 10 podcasts during the second quarter of 2021 were:
- The Joe Rogan Experience (Comedy)
- The Daily (News)
- Crime Junkie (True Crime)
- This American Life (Documentary)
- Stuff You Should Know (Educational)
- My Favorite Murder (True Crime)
- Pod Save America (Opinion)
- Office Ladies (Pop Culture)
- Serial (Documentary)
- The Ben Shapiro Show (Opinion)
Among all audio options available to consumers, local radio is still the dominant choice, commanding 39% of all time spent listening, according to Edison Research. Comparatively, podcasts currently account for only a 6% share of total listening time.
According to Nielsen, adult consumers in the CSRA who listen to podcasts tend to be young, affluent, and well-employed.
Many media outlets, including Augusta area radio stations, offer opportunities to advertise within locally produced podcasts. A study by Nielsen finds that commercials placed within a podcast can be extremely effective:
- Nearly 70% of respondents exposed to podcast advertising agreed that the ads they experienced increased their awareness of new products and services
- 62% of respondents correctly recalled the
brand advertised in the podcast
- 62% of respondents agreed the podcast ad experienced in the study “made me consider new products/services”
More Advertising Advice For Augusta area Small Business Owners
- Advertising On Augusta Radio: How Smart Speakers Add Value
- Best Way To Reach CSRA Halloween Shoppers
- Streaming Video Terms For Augusta Small Business Owners
- How To Fill Open Jobs In The CSRA
- B2B Advertising: Why Job Sites Depend On Augusta Radio