There are more than 385,000 registered voters in the Central Savannah River Area. Here is the number by county:
- Columbia, GA: 103,404
- McDuffie, GA: 14,856
- Richmond, GA: 133,772
- Aiken, SC: 116,519
- Edgefield, SC: 17,319
According to Nielsen, Augusta radio reaches significantly more of these registered voters than all other media, including local television pay-TV, newspaper, social media platforms, and streaming audio sites like Pandora or Spotify.
To be elected, however, requires candidates for every office to share their message with those who are not only registered but who are likely to vote. Advertising on Augusta radio will reach, by far, the most voters who can be counted on to show up on election day.
For candidates challenging incumbents in CSRA elections, radio advertising has shown to reduce any advantage the current officeholder might have.
A study published in the American Journal of Political Science indicates that when challengers for occupied offices advertised on local radio stations, the incumbent's share of votes decreased
considerably from their previous election. The share drop ranged from 3.9% to 7.0%, depending on the amount of radio advertising purchased.
Over the last several election cycles, this loss of voter share experienced by the incumbents in the study could have been enough to sway the election in favor of the many challengers.
Beginning on September 4, through election day, all Augusta radio stations are obligated to offer all candidates for federal office the opportunity to buy advertising at the lowest rates.
Radio stations are not obligated to sell time to candidates for statewide or local offices during that same time frame, however. But, if a station offers to sell time to one candidate for a specific race during that window, it must provide the same opportunity to all candidates for that same office. The rates offered must be the same offered to federal candidates.
More CSRA Advertising and Marketing Advice
- Facebook Advertising: Why CSRA Business Owners May Be Pausing
- Why CSRA Banks & Credit Unions Need To Advertise Now
- Real Estate Advertising In The CSRA: Starter Home Sales Are Thriving
- CSRA Small Business: Appliance Stores Prepare For Rebound
- Advertising In Augusta: Time For Local Jewelry Stores To Shine
- Augusta Radio Listeners Will Power The Post-Pandemic Recovery
- Best Way To Re-Introduce A CSRA Small Business To Consumers
- Traffic In Augusta Is Picking-Up. Is Your CSRA Small Business Ready?