There are 234,400 adult women in the Central Savannah River Area. Based on research from the Harvard Business Review, as a consumer group, females account for 70-80 percent of all consumer purchasing through a combination of their buying power and influence. According to Nielsen, this will amount to between $6.6 billion and $7.6 billion this year.
Overall, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics and the US Census Bureau:
- Single women across all income brackets spend, on average, $34,817 on goods and service
- Working married women contribute over a third of their families’ incomes
- Over a quarter (29.4%) of wives earned more than their husbands in 2018, an increase from 15.9% in 1981.
Furthermore, according to research published by Forbes:
- The top homebuyers after married couples are single women (18%, double the percentage for single men at 9%).
- Women are 50% more likely than men to regularly watch online how-to videos.
- 94% of women between the ages of 15-35 spend over an hour per day shopping online.
- 70% of travel consumers are women.
- 85% of women say that if they like a brand, they will remain loyal to it.
For Augusta small business owners to successfully capture a meaningful share of the local female economy requires advertising.